Early History 18th-19th centuries
Garagh GAA club is one Kildare's oldest GAA clubs. Gaelic football has been played in the area as far back as the 18th century with teams from Landenstown, Donore, Blackwood and the village of Prosperous. However many of these teams went out of existence in the 19th century and Caragh Gaelic Football Club was founded. The birth of the Gaelic Athletic Association in 1884 and the introduction of County committees in 1886 reignited the games of Gaelic football and hurling. The inaugural meeting of Prosperous & Blackwood Sir T Esmondes attracted 140 members in February 1888 under the patronage of local parish priest Father Kinsella and a British army veteran, Captain Fitzpatrick. Their rivals, Tim Healys were set up at Digby Bridge who reached the Kildare senior football semi-final in 1890. Digby Bridge Tim Healys officers John Dunne and Thomas Malone were listed as attending the 1889 convention. RIC records from 1890 show that Clongorey Campaigners had 38 members with Dan Kelly, John Murphy, Pat Fullam and James Kelly listed as officers. Clongorey reached the Senior Hurling Championship final in 1891 and but were defeated by Maynooth. In 1897 there were three clubs from the Parish in the county championship - Caragh, Digby Bridge and Prosperous.